This website has been down for three weeks. Maybe four. Every day I’d wake up, tell myself I was going to fix it today, and then promptly get distracted with other things. Like work. And eating. You know. Things.
I switched my hosting provider last month, which is what brought it down. I made the switch because, while I had no complaints about the hosting service itself, I had a difficult time navigating its dashboard and getting technical support. I thought perhaps a different service would improve that, so I switched. Only, I don’t actually know how to move a website. I’m still not sure what finally resolved the problem tonight. But it is resolved. And here we are!
And now I can notice that I haven’t written here in seven months.
That is a new low. Seven months! Someone take away all of my credentials. My writer credentials AND my web worker credentials. What in the world.
Well, I have been a little busy. I have spent the better part of this year launching my independent consultancy. Plus moving, joining ALA, attending conferences, recovering from sickness, traveling — the pace of 2014 has been manic. It’s been hard to make writing a priority. So a few things:
- I am going to write more. I say this a lot. But I mean it this time. I say that a lot too.
- I’m shifting this site’s focus. I’ll still write about professional things, but I also want to write about personal things. I’d like it to live at that intersection — something informal, exploratory, curious. Something where my work comes through as much as my experience of moving through the world. Because, as if I didn’t know it before, this year has really driven home that the personal and professional are desperately intertwined.
- I’m going to try to change up the look, eventually. But let’s take things one step at a time.
Professionally, here’s what’s coming up in the next few months:
- I’m available for consulting work, specifically information architecture and content strategy consulting for higher education, nonprofits, and small businesses. I’d love to help you make sense of your web content — please drop me a line!
- I’ll be speaking at Content Strategy Summit, August 19. It’s an online conference, which means you can attend from anywhere! The lineup is phenomenal, so please don’t miss it! Use the code LISAMARIA for a 20% discount on registration!
- I’ll be speaking at BlendConf in September — should be a lovely event, with lots of energy and unique perspectives and diverse topics! Join us there!
- I won’t be speaking, but will be attending Confab Europe in beautiful Barcelona, September 29 – October 1! Because I deserve a Mediterranean vacation WHILE participating in the best conference in our industry. Come hang out with me!
And it’s corny as hell to say, but: stay tuned. If the second half of the year is anything like the first, there should be a lot of challenges and excitement afoot — and this time I swear I’ll write it all down.